Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Grilled Chicken Quarters and Quinoa

Tonight we made some grilled chicken

I put a no salt rub on the chicken and some evoo and let them sit in the fridge for about 2 hours. I setup my grill with the coals one side for some direct and indirect heating. When the kettle was good and hot (about 350) I put the legs directly over the coals to get a quick sear and grill marks. I think the grill was a bit too hot and I had to be quick moving the chicken over to the indirect side due to flare ups. I didn't want to char the meat.

I moved all the legs to the drumstick rack which holds them vertically, giving me more space on the grill...they were big cuts of meat. I covered the grill and let them cook for about 45 minutes, at which point I rotated the legs. After about an hour and 15 minutes I mopped some of my whiskey bbq sauce over the chicken and let that carmalize for a few minutes. I repeated this process another 2-3 times.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the chicken up to 160 degrees on the grill and had to nuke them for a few minutes to get them thoroughly cooked. I was pretty bummed about them not finishing on the grill. I have a feeling that they were not completely thawed in the middle and therefore it took longer to get the internal temperature up. Next time I will need to probably add a few coals to keep the heat going and extend the cooking time, or make sure the chicken is completely thawed.

The quinoa was cooked with some rosemary and dried cranberries. It makes for a nice alternative to rice and is healthy!




No comments:

Post a Comment