Monday, August 9, 2010

Party Time

This past weekend we celebrated my daughter's 1st birthday, my father's birthday, my aunt and uncle's anniversary and my parents anniversary....whew big party!

(Pictures will come soon, I still need to upload them.)

I decided that some pulled pork was necessary for this party. My wife made a teriyaki marinade for the chicken and we smoked that as well.

For the pulled pork I got 2 8lb pork butts from Sam's. I prepared the meat by cutting off the excess fat. I also injected the meat with salt, apple juice and sugar. For the rub I made a simple pork rub with brown sugar, paprika, cumin, salt pepper and a few other spices. I coated the pork with some yellow mustard and then rubbed on the dry rub. I wrapped in tin foil, and put in a pan in the fridge for about 3 hours.



The chicken we let marinade in the teriyaki sauce overnight.

I started my coals at around 11:30 pm friday night and I used the minion method. I put in about half a bag of Stubbs briskets in the charcoal grate along with 3 pieces of hickory. Once the fire was going and the smoker was hot, I put the pork butts on the cooking grate and inserted a temperature probe into each one. I wanted to watch the internal temp of the meat.

I set the thermometers to 200 as that is the temperature I needed.

I checked back on the smoker after about an hour to make sure all  was well. I basted the pork with a mob sauce and covered it back up. The smoker was still rockin steady. I set my alarm for another 2 hours. I cam back after 2 hours and flipped the pork to get a nice even bark on them. The fire was still going nicely at a nice even temp...this smoker is great! I set my alarm again for 3 hours to flip the butts again.

At about 9 am the thermometer read 200 so I pulled them off, wrapped in tin foil and a towel and stuck them in a cooler to let the juices redistribute. An hour later I opened them up and started pulling them apart. The bone practically fell right out and the pork came about so easy. The smell was amazing (and the taste was just as good!) I put the meat in tin pans and covered with tin foil and put back in the cooler until party time.



Meanwhile I had started the coals in my Weber 18" and 22" to cook the chicken. There was a lot of chicken and I needed as much space to get it all done in time for the party. I setup the webers for indirect grilling and put the chicken in all 3 (smoker, and webers). It was pretty cool to see all 3 cookers puffin smoke out of the vents.



The chicken grilled for about an hour and a half and came out looking fantastic and equally delicious...this was going to be a very tasty party!

I love this smoker. It really is a delight to work with and the food comes out amazing. My neighbor came running over when I was pulling the pork and exclaimed "I am so jealous I had to smell that cooking all night long!" I gave her some pork to taste and she loved it.

The pulled pork sandwiches were a hit at the party. There wasn't much leftover.

I can't wait to do it again!

Koopdaddy

No comments:

Post a Comment